Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Olimarao Atoll FM - A Northern Pacific Island Jewel and Uninhabited Too

Olimarao Atoll - Locator Map


Olimarao Atoll - DG Island Image from GE (1-25,000)

Olimarao Atoll - DG Island Image from GE (=~1:25,000)


Olimarao Atoll - EEVS Precision Map (1-25,000)

Olimarao Atoll - EEVS Precision Map (1:25,000)

After almost five years of EVS precision island mapping projects, countless comments from the curious and, most often, complimentary guests and thousands of hours of work aimed at making this website better...

1) I have struck a deal with a corporate "sugar daddy" that will pay me to make EVS and EEVS precision island maps as I see fit.

or

2) My wife finally put her foot down and instructed me to "shut it down"! I told her to back off and she left me for a younger, computer illiterate man.

or

3) I'm still making island maps, with my wife's blessing, and am still without a corporate "sugar daddy".

Okay, I'm at Option 3) and enjoying it. However, sometimes our complicated lives cause us to wish for profound simplicity. A place where one can get away from the pressures of "big city" living and spend a day making a single decision, that being to make no decisions.

By far, my most popular posts over the past few months have been about the challenge of locating and living on uninhabited islands. It started with my post "Thoughts - An Uninhabited Island and What You'll Need to Inhabit it 'Robinson Crusoe' Style" and continued with my post "Thoughts - How Many Uninhabited Islands in the World?". These two posts alone have generated over 1,000 page views. As the world's economies continue to struggle and the economically downtrodden victims hunt for ways out, a Google search of "uninhabited islands" will lead the desperate to my aforementioned posts.

Olimarao Atoll could be their Eden. The atoll is small, but affords one fairly secure anchorage near the large motu. The large amount of vegetation suggests an adequate supply of water, most probably in the form of a fresh water lens. The small size of the island might lead one to "island claustrophobia", manifest by a longing for continental security. However, according to the occasional yachtsperson stopping for a short stay, the island is beautiful beyond imagination. Could Olimarao Atoll be your Eden? More to follow...

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment