Saturday, February 23, 2013

Clipperton Island FR - It Has Been a Long Time Between Maps and Why.

Clipperton Island - DigitalGlobe from Google Earth 
Clipperton Island - DigitalGlobe Image taken from Google Earth

Clipperton Island - EEVS Map (1-17030) 
Clipperton Island - EEVS Precision Map (1:17030)

Taking advantage of DigitalGlobes hi-res imagery found in Google Earth, I was able to redo my original EVS precision map of Clipperton Island into an EEVS (Extremely Enhanced Vector Shoreline) precision map.  Clipperton remains a popular, but long-distant fishing destination for long range boats from San Diego, my home town.  It is also one of the only French possessions located in the Pacific Ocean.  Besides the fishermen, DX'ers love to transmit and receive QSL's from this remote atoll.

I have been a busy map maker these past four months. My day job, as many of you know, is a middle school teacher. That means that every weekday I attempt to teach meaningful Social Studies lessons to a room full of less-than-eager students. This year I am trying something different, I teach Social Studies lessons using both Google Earth and Quantum GIS mapping software.

For example, my 6th grade students have just begun a unit on China.  As an entertaining but hopefully, useful exercise, I listed 15 cities, tourist locations, landmarks, etc., found in China.  The students had to locate them in Google Earth, take a screen shot, id the image, place it in a folder on their virtual desktop, and when complete submit the folder to me using Shared Documents.  My objectives - students get an introduction to the geography of China, they use Google Earth as a learning tool, they enhanced their image handling skills, and they have fun with geography while learning.

We will work with QGIS (Quantum GIS) during this unit.  I always like the students to create a vector layer of information on top of a georectified image.  This sort of project requires a great deal of patience and usage of a teaching method I call the "Louder Method".  If they don't get it the first time, just say it louder the next few times.  I'm just kidding.  Really.  REALLY!!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment