Monday, October 29, 2007

Thoughts - Vector Map Files or Raster Images, Does It Really Matter?

Isla del Coco - EEVS Map (1-50,000)

EEVS Map Using Vector Files


Isla del Coco - EEVS Map (1-50,000)

Raster Image of EEVS Map

Most of you just like to look at the island images. Perhaps you are an armchair traveller or the boss is giving you the "what for" all day and this site kind of looks like work so you visit. Maybe you are homebound and this is your way to travel. It is all cool!

Some of you are cartographically inclined. You work with maps and mapping during the day and viewing this site either inspirers you or reminds you how accomplished you are at this mapping art. Some of you just dig maps. You never met a map you didn't like, except for some of my earlier efforts. Some of you visit this site because you actually searched for a particular topic and the "EVS-whatever" link looked interesting. Hopefully, you found the information you needed. It is all cool!

I am hoping that some of you are folks like me, map makers. Not just map viewers, but people who like to fashion a map. You have a mapping package installed and your hobby, your job, your passion is to make quality maps. To all of you - are you interested in my completed vector map files or not? The last two posts I provided links to vector map files that will allow a person with a mapping package to reproduce Isla del Coco and the Smithsonian Global Volcanism Point File. If I am visiting my site and I have my mapping passion, I would download and install these vector files. I would want to see them in action. Knowing what I know about vectors versus raster images, I would be all over the vector files. Don't get me wrong, I would download the raster images and check them out as well. But the vector files would be a bonanza. But that is me and I am curious. How many viewers share my passion, curiosity and appreciation of a quality vector data file, especially one of an island? Are there others that download these files or do I post them for no one? It takes an additional couple of hours to prep the various layers of information that make up one of my island projects. If enough of you take advantage of the service, I'll keep it going. If not, I'll not. Either way, it is all cool!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment