Tuesday, July 8, 2008

How To Digitize Shorelines Using ISS Imagery

Takume Atoll - Landsat S-07-15_2000 Image (1-100,000)

My mapping target for the night, Takume Atoll. The Landsat image, S-07-15_2000, looks pretty good. Clouds obscure the northern motus. So how does this intrepid mapper solve this digitizing problem.


Takume Atoll - DigitalGlobe from Google Earth Image - Northern Motus (1-30,000)

First, I checked out DigitalGlobe's imagery in Google Earth. The northern section of the atoll is covered with cloud-free hi-res imagery. Since I am looking to possibly explore commercial opportunities for my EVS precison island maps, DigitalGlobe imagery is a "no go".


Takume Atoll - Northern Section ESC_large_ISS006_ISS006-E-53124 Modified


Takume Atoll - Southern Section ESC_large_ISS006_ISS006-E-53125 Modified

I visited the Gateway to Astronaut Photography and poked around to see what imagery was available for this atoll. It turns out during the ISS006 mission, this atoll was photographed. I downloaded both photos and went about putting them together.


Takume Atoll - Attach and Adjust Southern Section on top of Northern Section

I pieced the two images together using Irfanview and ImageForge. I loaded the northern section first and placed the southern section on top of it. I had to do a small stretch to make the southern image fit onto the northern section.


Takume Atoll - ISS006E53124 and 53125

I trimed the modified image and saved it. Now I have to tilt it at the proper angle to better georectify the image.


Takume Atoll - Angle 42°

Using a measuring feature in Global Mapper, I was able to determine that the atoll is at a 42° angle. Now I needed to tilt the image 42°. Irfanview allowed me to tilt the image the requisite degrees.


Takume Atoll - Georectified Using Triangulation Method 5 GCPs

I used Global Mapper's georectifying module to georeference the tilted image. I selected a rectification routine called Triangulation which requires 5 GCPs. 3 GCPs were selected in the northern section and 2 GCPs were selected in the southern section.


Takume Atoll - ISS006E53124 and 53125 Modified

And there is the georectified Takume Atoll ISS image.


Takume Atoll - ISS006E53124 and 53125 Image Modified (1-50,000) - Northern Section

I used the ISS image to digitize the cloud covered northern motus. Once they were completed, I tricked the top image (ISS) to complete digitizing the balance of the atoll.


Takume Atoll - Translucency to 70

I used a translucency option and converted the ISS image to 70% translucency. This allows the underlying image, primarily their colors, to show through the top image. I used this setup to complete digitizing the remaining shorelines.


Takume Atoll - Other Precision Map (1-50,000) - Northern Section

Here is the finished northern section of Takume Atoll. All of the cloud covered motus are mapped using ISS imagery. Pretty cool, huh?

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment