Friday, December 5, 2008

Desecheo Island - Puerto Rican National Wildlife Refugee


View Larger Map

Desecheo Island - Google Image (1:8,000)

Desecheo Island - Google Image


Desecheo Island - EVS Precision Map (1:8,000)

Desecheo Island - EVS Precision Map (1:8,000)

Last summer I came across an aerial image of Desecheo Island on the front of a PDF document produced by a group representing Desecheo Island National Wildlife Refugee. I had been asked to make a map for a person intending to do wildlife research on the island. I called a person connected with the refugee and asked if I could use the image to create a map. He said that the image was property of the Federal Wildlife Service and since the image was federal government property, I could use the image to create my map. The map was completed and delivered to the researcher. End of story. Not quite.

I was reading from one of my favorite website, 425 DX News, a publication that gives all of the latest news about intended trips to far out places that radio amateurs will be broadcasting from, like Desecheo Island in February 2009. I decided to upgrade my Deseceo Island map. The upgrade took about 2-hours, but the image was another story.

I could not find my original image anywhere on my computer. The new Desecheo Island NWR PDF document has been reworked and the island overview image was missing. The old image is shown in a Google image search, but the link is gone. I decided to look in Google Earth and, lo and behold, there is the original Desecheo Island NWR image I had mapped from. It is now part of Google Earth. The image is not credited to any source, save Google. I downloaded a Google imaage of the island and it is posted above.

Really, not a lot of drama connected to this post, just an interesting image story, as far as images go. In fact the NWR image of Desecheo Island still exists on their reworked website (see above link). It is just interesting how it is not credited in Google. That's all.

Finally, I intend to offer my Desecheo Island map to the DX'ers that will be operating from the island in the February 2009 time frame. I wish them well and hope QSLs abound!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment