Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Thoughts - DigitalGlobe Imagery in Google Earth and Island Mosaics

Guadalupe Island - DG from GE (1-15,000) Small

Guadalupe Island - DigitalGlobe Mosaic from Google Earth (1:15,000)

I have been gently reminded, agressively scolded and accused of being an image thief. I appreciate the gentle reminders that DigitalGlobe imagery found in Google Earth is still the property of DigitalGlobe, yet is shared with all of us via the Google Earth platform. Let me explain.

A few years back as DigitalGlobe imagery began appearing in Google Earth, I did what many viewer did, I saved copies of high-resolution images of features I found interesting. My dilemma was my interest in islands, which most often require a number of images mosaicked together to create a detailed view of the island that I could then use to create my island maps. After creating my first DigitalGlobe high-resolution mosaic of an island with imagery taken from Google Earth I made my first phone call to Google Earth. I explained how I constructed my high-resolution base image using DigitalGlobe imagery found in Google Earth. I further explained that I used the georeferenced mosaic as my base image from which I would produce an island map for non-commercial purposes. A map that I would post to my website, EVS Islands. In addition, I would also post the mosaic to show readers my base image from which I produced my map. The magic word was "non-commercial". The gentleman I spoke with said that as long as the map was for non-commercial uses, Google Earth had no problem with my efforts, as long as I credited them when appropriate. He added, as far as the DigitalGlobe imagery was concerned, I needed to speak with them. Even though Google Earth hosts the imagery, I needed DigitalGlobe's okay to use their imagery as I was using it. So I called DigitalGlobe.

The individual I spoke with listened to my explanation of how I wanted to use their imagery. The "non-commercial" use of the imagery was again a key element of my intended use. I carefully explained how I took a series of DigitalGlobe images from Google Earth, mosaicked them, georeferenced the finished mosaic, digitized my vector layers of interest and finally posted both my finished map and an image of the DigitalGlobe high-resolution island mosaic to my website. He asked to see my map, the DigitalGlobe mosaic and the image of the mosaic. I emailed them to him. He checked them out and talked with his people. He emailed back that as long as my work derived from their imagery was for non-commercial purposes and I credited them as a source I was good to go.

It has been over two years since that first conversation. I have had a number of subsequent conversations with DigitalGlobe representatives concerning my use of their imagery. They have consistently advised that my use of their product and the crediting I give is acceptable.

Currently, I seldom use DigitalGlobe imagery to construct my island maps. I, almost exclusively use Landsat ETM+ as my base imagery. I hold out hope that somewhere, someone just might want to purchase my enhanced vector shoreline precision maps. So far, it is a "no go", but I hold out hope. In the meantime, I continue to admire the excellent high-resolution imagery made available through the joint efforts of DigitalGlobe and Google Earth. And if and when I need that high-resolution image of a large island, I'll go ahead and construct a DigitalGlobe image mosaic knowing that, so far, both Google Earth and DigitalGlobe representatives have given me the "okay".

Enjoy!

P.S. - Each use of DigitalGlobe's imagery found in Google Earth should be discussed with their representatives. They will determine the actual or potential impact upon their business. Be up front with them, giving a complete description of how you will use their imagery. My experience is that they will support most, not all, non-commercial uses of their imagery copied from Google Earth. The same goes for Google Earth. The problem comes in locating the right person to render a decision concerning your use of their product.

No comments:

Post a Comment