Friday, June 27, 2008

Thoughts - My Evolving Map Product

Atoll Marutea - EVS Precision Map (1-125,000)

Marutea Atoll - EVS Precision Map (1:125,000)

In February 2006, my mapping craft was beginning. I could digitize a shoreline with the best of them, but my color selections were evolving. Not only my color selection, but the entire layout of a finished map was evolving. I enjoy using Marplot to finish my maps. I know there are more flexible mapping packages that will allow one to finish maps as functional and appealing products. I know, but Marplot is my package of choice for the time being. When I really have to "pretty" a map, I work in ImageForge. It is a freeware draw and design package. I tried Gimp, but I am quite comfortable working with ImageForge.

That said, in February 2006, I completed all of my map finish work using Marplot. At the time, I liked my efforts, but saw room for improvement. For the past two plus years, that is what I have attempted to do, improve all aspects of my mapping work. I now digitize shorelines from Landsat ETM+ mosaics at scales between 1:25,000 to 1:12,500. I know that is pushing the limits of Landsat ETM+ and 14.5 meter resolution, but the final map is of a greater accuracy when my initial digitizing is done at the aforementioned scales.

I have continually evolved my island mapping color scheme. Now I use bolder colors, fewer soft pastels and less brilliant greens. I expect my color scheme to continue changing. The aim is to give the viewer colors that contribute to a positive map reading experience and that share information meaningfully.

My map layout is changing. I see this aspect of my work being the most dynamic. Depending on the map's end use, the layout will either be quite simple (for posting) or more stylistic, more "pretty" if the subject is of great interest, the map for an end-user or I have time.


Marutea Atoll - EVS Precison Map (1-85,000)

Marutea Atoll - EVS Precison Map (1:85,000)

This is the current Marutea Atoll EVS precison map product. I like it.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment