Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Thoughts - Be Careful What You Wish For...

It has been a few days since my last post, but it has been a very busy few days. I am working on a paying island mapping project. The client ( who shall remain anonymous) wants the eastern Pacific islands mapped at EVS precision (using Landsat ETM+ as base imagery). For the past four days I've been mapping the Solomon Islands. All I have to do is create a shoreline polygon for each island. If you've ever studied the Landsat imagery for this part of the world there a lots of clouds. Clouds are a royal pain to the shoreline digitizer. However, I am an enterprising soul and am using Landsat 1990 imagery to try and skirt the cloud issue. It works!

Now for the challenge associated with this project. I have 1,000s of islands to digitize, label, add elevation contours and bathymetry, create urban polygons and label, and all of this within two to four weeks.

This is what I wished for and now I have it. I will work many many many hours on this project and get paid a few thousand for my efforts (it's never enough). But am I complaining. No, not at all. This is what I want to do - make EVS precision maps of islands. At the end of this project I will have completed EVS precision mapping for the eastern Pacific. That is quite an accomplishment.

So my "For Hire" shingle is out. Any more takers?

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment