Friday, July 27, 2007

Thoughts - GoDaddy URL and Still On Vacation

I'm still on vacation, but my daughter-in-law lets me use her computer. So while my wife reads or naps, I compute.

During one of my computing session, my son suggested I secure the URL www.evs-islands.com. I found that it was available and for a mere $7.15 per year, it's mine. I used GoDaddy.com to register my URL. It was a fairly simple process lasting about 20-minutes.

Once I owned www.eve-islands.com, I checked it out and, sure enough, it was live. Nothing was in it, but it was alive.

Using a Setting feature within Blogger that lets me use my own URL while displaying my blog site's data within it,I decided to go for it. I made a few changes to my blog's settings and in my GoDaddy account and...LINK!

Actually, the link took about 2-hours to establish. Now, when you visit my blog site, evs-islands.blogspot.com, Blogger redirects you to my new URL, www.evs-islands.com.

I'm not sure how Google searches will work with this new link. Whether Google will place my post's URL's into my Blogger blogspot URL or into evs-islands.com URL?

You might ask, "Why spend time explaining this URL stuff on an island mapping site?" I know that many of you enjoy my island maps and posts discussing the How's and What For's, of mapping. However, I suspect many of you would love to establish your own content on the WWW/Internet. This URL business is an important step toward establishing your content's credibility on the WWW/Internet. I enjoy the flexibility and ease-of-use Blogger provides. Yet, the addition of the word blogspot within your URL somehow brings the validity of your content into question. Most readers could care less about this blogspot business, but, after 2-years of blogging, I am here to tell you blogspot within your URL is not a plus. Using Blogger's blogging features, you can blog your content, while using your new URL identity. If your content is well researched, carefully documented and consistently formatted, your new URL says to the world - "My stuff is good, because it is good! And, I'm spending $7.15 a year on a classy URL, so it's got to be good!" Cool, huh?

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment