Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Kyra Panagia GR - Home of a Monk-less Monastery

Kyra Panagia - LIIM From Landsat N-35-35_2000

Kyra Panagia - LIIM From Landsat N-35-35_2000

A few nights ago I decided to make a map from one of my Greek and Turkish Island LIIMs. I selected one at random. I initially had it identified as Nisos Pelagos. It turns out that the Greeks named the island after a monastery located on this island.


Kyra Panagia - EVS Percision Marplot Map (1-50,000)

Kyra Panagia - EVS Percision Marplot Map (1:50,000)

The map I produced is above. EVS precision is the best resolution freely available. So I used the LIIM to create my map. Nothing much out of the ordinary to report. The map was created in less than four hours. What I found out about the island in the research phase, now that is interesting.


Kyra Panagia Monastery (Overview)

Kyra Panagia Monastery (Overview)

This humble monastery is monk-less. The last monk died in 1991. Tourist haul into Monastery Bay, climb Monks Steps and tour the only building on the island - this monastery. It turns out the island is uninhabited. It is a protected area - some sort of National Park status. So, if you are hunting for the ultimate get-away, this is your destination.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment