Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Nisos Skiathos GR - And Another Sporades Island

Nisos Skiathos - LIIM from N-34-35_2000 (1-70,000)

Nisos Skiathos - LIIM from N-34-35_2000 (1:70,000)

Nisos Skiathos is the westernmost island of the Sporades. It is reported to be heavily forested with pine trees. However the ugly red splotch in the center of the LIIM is a burn signature. When a forest fire occurs on a small island, it puts all of the inhabitants at risk. This fire was restricted to the mountainous interior. It would have occured over 7+ years ago and I am confident organic ground cover has returned to the area. According to a Nisos Skiathos web site, the island is heavily populated with tourists during the summer months. They visit the old fortress at Kastro (NE), long stretches of sandy beaches and enjoy a festive nightlife in Skiathos town.

My perfect visit to this island would be off-season. I would spend my time exploring and visiting with the local folks. In the evening I would walk in the town looking at the shops and selecting a taverna to dine in. Then I would retire to my room overlooking the sea. I would relax on my balcony with a good book, a glass of 20-year old port wine, a Cuban cigar and soft music in the background. I would fall asleep at 1:00 AM, wake up at 5:30 AM and start all over again. Wow! Now that is living on the edge.


Nisos Skiathos - EVS Precision Marplot Map (1-70,000)

Nisos Skiathos - EVS Precision Marplot Map (1:70,000)

The map was created in approximately 4-hours. It was a fairly straight forward island mapping project. Nothing out of the ordinary. I am working on color schemes for my various map layers. The colors are still being explored. I have been using Marplot's text feature. One has the option of using five different fonts. You control the size of the text by selecting and dragging it until you are satisfied with the size. I have used Time New Roman font for this island mapping project.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment